I feel my immunity levels are very low, any tips to improve my nutrition?
I`m a mum of three and I feel my immunity levels are very low. I keep getting tonsilitis and am always tired. Please give me some tips to improve my nutrition.
Answer: Hi There, It`s hard to offer a `one stop` suggestion on improving nutrition to help with immunity; however, what I can do is offer you some tip sheets that cover a bit of the ground work. If you would like to flick me a quick email I can organise to send you some tip sheets on healthy eating. Just generally though here are some starting points:
- Ensure you are eating fruit and vegetables every day; broccoli, berries, tomatoes, carrots and other strong coloured produce are particularly good for you
- Include herbs such as onions, garlic, thyme, sage and so on
- Watch out for excessive coffee/caffeine intake
- Try to ensure your diet is full of unprocessed foods and limit junk food
- Limit alcohol intake
- Keep red meat to about 2-3 times a week, but enjoy lots of fish and vegetable based proteins
- Eat wholegrains and cereals over sugary breads and cereals
- Ensure you drink water or a good alternative
- Eat a good natural yoghurt (talk to a health food shop person about a probiotic)
- Having a freshly made juice with fruit and vegies once or twice a week can be a great shot of nutrients (personally I love ginger, beetroot, apple and carrot)
- Try to exercise regularly as this has been shown to improve overall health outcomes
Answered: 01 Jun 2009