I have a 3 year old son who will not eat anything!
Hi I have a 3 year old son who will not eat anything!! He is also highly allergic to eggs. We were told he would grow out of it but I am still waiting. What can I do to get him to eat. I am sick of dinner time turning into a screaming match.
Answer: Hi There, I really do understand I have a fussy foodie who is six, but I have to say the battles have dropped off, thank goodness. One option worth exploring, at least for sanity, is an early childhood consultant, they are fab at helping to amend habits. Generally though this is my checklist on fussy eating:
- Persisting with offering the healthy stuff even if it is rejected
- Sneaking in the good stuff where you can which makes avoiding the battles (no-one wins those ones) easier
- Getting them involved
- Offering a healthy supper down the line if dinner is rejected and your toddler complains of being hungry
- Trying to use the foods they do eat as a basis for making other food/meals that are more likely to be enjoyed. For example cream cheese on a bagel, pasta with bacon and a cream cheese base, bread and butter pudding made with calcium enriched milk such as soy or rice, try sweet potato chips etc.
- Swap lunch and dinner if that helps and make meal portions achievable (small but healthy).
- Check milk or other fluids aren’t interfering with their appetite.
- Remember that food rejection is a normal behaviour for most toddlers and preschoolers.
- Repeat the mantra "this like all things in infancy and childhood, will pass" and it will!
- http://www.allergyfacts.org.au/product.html -pretty much the be all and end all on allergy – recipes everything fab site
- The RPA web site has a fabulous booklet you can download on how to cope with bubs who have a milk allergy you can request a copy of Milk Allergy from email@example.com
Answered: 01 Jun 2009