Hi, I was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder after the birth of my twins. I was put on aropax and was seeing a psychologist. However after being off the aropax I am now pregnant (Yes it was Planned) however I am nervous that things will get worse again after the birth of this child. What can I do to minimise my symptoms?
- I would recommend going back to your psychologist if you felt they were helpful or contact the Australian Psychological Society for another referral if required.
- Eat, sleep, breath well. Exercise if you can, incorporating it into your busy life with twins, eg, walks to the park, walking up and down stairs. Drink lots of water - try one full glass per hour to train yourself. Limit caffienated tea/coffee/coke, epsecially the latter.
- Consider taking a Vitamin supplement (see a naturopath or chemist) to restore energy and stamina - this can really help with a sense of overwhelm and control.
- Focus on two little things you would like to acheive each day that would give you a sense of accomplishment, meaning and control, eg, looking at your childs face and take notice of the little features you may not have noticed before, play trucks/dollies/playdough as if you were a 3 year old.
- If your psychologist worked with you on identifying feelings and thought patterns spend some time doing a thought record. I can send you details if you contact me via www.beingamother.com.