My favourite recipes
Become a Huggies member now to create your own recipes list and share with your family and friend via: Facebook, Twitter and Email
4 Treasure Bread
Keywords: toddler, carbs, lunch box
This is quick, delicious and easy to whip up for kids’ lunchtimes or snacks. A good way to get a few vegetables and dairy into toddlers. The kids can also be involved in mixing and rolling the dough so a fun kitchen activity. The “treasure” components are merely the vegetables or fillings that can be incorporated into the bread and any variety of vegetables or fillings can be used.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup tasty cheese, grated
- 1 carrot or zucchini, grated
- 1 slice ham or tinned drained tuna
- Sift flour into a bowl and add the yeast.
- Warm the milk in a saucepan until it is a blood-warm temperature.
- Add the sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Remove from heat and pour into the flour mixture.
- Slowly mix with a spoon to incorporate most of the flour then add the vegetables.
- Continue mixing until the mix starts to come together into a ball.
- You can use your hands to then knead the dough. If it is sticky add a little more flour. Knead for 2-3 minutes (or as long as the little ones are happy!)
- Lightly oil a clean bowl and place dough. Cover and leave aside to rise for 30 minutes. Heat the grill.
- When risen, cut dough into 6-10 pieces (depending on the appetite of little ones) and roll out on a floured surface.
- Place some chopped ham or tuna and cheese in the centre and fold to enclose. Roll flat again.
- Place onto a lightly greased tray and grill for 1-2 minutes each side until lightly puffed and golden.
- I have found that you can also pan fry the rolled dough on a medium heat in a lightly greased pan.
- The grilled version allows for many to be cooked in one go and the kids get a kick out of watching it cook.